Not sure how this rates on the healthy scales but on the yum scale, it rates highly!
- Grab a pyrex baking dish – the long flat one (yup, highly specific).
- Give the base a quick spray with olive oil just to prevent sticking. Layer onions or leek over the base thinly and lay two pieces of smoked cod on them (cost about $7.50 for the smoked cod at Woolworths).
- It should take about a cup and a half of milk to cover the fish, then you can spread around a bit of chopped garlic, thyme, a bay leaf, peppercorns, whatever takes your fancy really.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about half an hour – until the fish is just nicely cooked.
- about 10-15 min’s after you put in on, you can add some brown rice to a pot of boiling water, then chop up your vegetables and place in a steamer above the pot of rice (any vegetable juice that drips with be absorbed into the rice!).
- Once the 30mins is up, take out the fish and plate it up with the rice and vegetables.
- Pour the milk portion into a small pot (it’s fine for some of the chunkier stuff to come with it!). Add in about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of corn-flour (depends on how thick you like the sauce!) mixed with cool water and bring to boil before simmering for a couple of minutes until the corn-flour just starts to thicken. Be sensible with serving size!
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! The two pieces were plenty for two adults, though I could have quite easily sacrificed a bit of mine to a toddler! For middle sized kids I would say about half a piece would be plenty. I am an evil mummy however and my kids enjoyed some crumbed fish fingers from the frozen section of the super market!