Sunday, August 29, 2010

Procrastination Vrs Perfection


Perfectionism and Procrastination - A Direct Relationship.

I'm not putting it off any longer.  It is time to tackle my procrastination head on.  This affects every aspect of my life.  I procrastinate about housework, making doctors appt's, budgeting, paying bills, doing my research - EVERYTHING!

So what does perfectionism have to do with procrastination?   
I mean surely, if I was a true perfectionist, then time management would be included in that?  But no, I use perfectionism as an excuse. 

The more I put pressure on myself to do well, the more likely I am to fail.  Not only is it a direct excuse "Hey, I can't do it properly/have the perfect routine/ do it right everytime" but it also affects that other common excuse - the fear of failure.  Perhaps that is where the procrastination comes from in the first place.  I want to be perfect, I know I am going to fail at that for sure!

So I need to stop with the perfectionism and the procrastination should go away.  Take off the pressure - I don't have to be perfect, I am not going to be perfect, and that is Okay - It doesn't make me a failure.  It makes me REAL!

The solution....
I am going to make a commitment to not be perfect.  I will eat the wrong thing sometimes, I will skip an occasional day of exercise.  I will have a slump day (especially if PMS is involved).  But I will do SOMETHING - if I miss my normal exercise I will do SOMETHING, Anything really - even just a minute of skipping, or jumping on the trampoline! I will still be here, I will still go on, and I will keep moving forward.

1 comment: