Sunday, October 24, 2010

Week 5 (Sunday) The Pink Ribbon Fun Run

OMG!  I did it!  Time for this run was 29mins 49secs --> Under 30mins!  Yey!

Unfortunatly no photos as apparently getting the kids up and out of the house by 7am is impossible so I went all by lonesome.  I was a bit disapointed as I was really hoping to have someone there for me - it feels a bit odd to be the only one there who doesn't know anyone or have someone to cheer them on!

But anyways, on to the run!  I woke up around 6.30am and got dressed, had a cuppa and an egg on toast - and had my fingers crossed I wouldn't get a stitch from eating! lol  It was pretty cool tying on the the little timing chip to my shoe as I've never used one before!  All lined up and ready to go and boy to do I hate the waiting!  We had to listen to all the fluff and carry on as per usual and then all of a sudden it was 3-2-1 go.  I took my time wondering up to the start line and off I went.  It was super crowded and most of the time I was dodging people.  I have learnt to dispise people who run four across and take up the whole pathway - manner anyone?  What was odd though, I spent the first part of the race almost in tears - I don't know why but I had this kind of 'I'm doing it' feeling.  I wasn't at the back of the pack, I was passing people who were normally way ahead of me.  I was running!  The course was fantastic until we hit the 'hill', I reckon it should be renamed 'torture hill'.  It wasn't that long but man it was steep.  I was actually talking aloud to myself: "just keep moving", over and over again.  At the top of the hill was a second check point with water, I grabbed the water and asked the ladies there "who put that hill there?  That was mean!" lol  But oh man, did it feel good to run down the other side.  The weather was warming up though and I was running out of puff for the end, I think I kept up a good pace but I wasn't able to pass the other two ladies who were running just ahead of me. Every time I came close, they sped up! lol  I was exhausted as I crossed the finish line and was actually a bit light-headed as I did my cool-down walk.  I put some water on my face to cool down and put my head down between my legs (I pretended I was stretching!) and I started to feel a bit better. 

I handed in my timing chip and headed home, a little disappointed that once again there was no way to find out the time I ran, even approximatly until they put the results up online.  But it was a good race.. about 250 people which is awesome for a small central queensland city!  so stay tuned for an update on the time.  I will be soooo happy if I managed to get in under 30mins but I don't know with that whopping huge hill if the course allowed for a PB!

Now, I have to note what a huge acheivement this has been for me.  Earlier this year I decided to learn to run and started the c25k program.  A few weeks in I saw an add on tv for the race series and decided to have a go.  That was huge for me.. to go somewhere new, by myself, and then put myself way out there by competing.  My first time was about 38mins, and my second race, 32mins.  My goal this year was to complete 3 races and today I did that.  It is so much then being about increasing my race time though.  It is the fact that I kept going.  It wasn't a fad that I did for a few months, but a whole lifestyle change.  By commiting to the long term goal of 3 races and achieving that I have shown myself that I can be consistent, that I can train long-term for something and not just do something on a whim.

Funnily enough, there is another race (6km) coming up in 2 weeks... trying to decide if I should do it or not as it is the day before my final talk.  lol It might be good for stress releif!

Well, speaking of uni, I need to get in and get my work done today so I can relax a bit later!

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Jen that is absolutley fantastic. What an effort. You should be so proud of yourself. I'm proud for you. Keep up the amazing job!